Project for rehabilitation and agricultural revival of the irrigated perimeter of the "Cooperativa do 28 Setembro"
AN INCUBATION PROJECT SUPPORTED BY:
VERBATIM OF THE PROJECT LEADER :
« Our project in Angola is part of our vision of a human, collaborative and efficient engineering that allows us TO:
- Preserve, develop and enhance, in a responsible manner, the essential resources of water and the environment to ensure the conditions for a better life for current and future populations, by preserving biodiversity and integrating the threats linked to climate change,
- Supporting our clients in transforming their territories and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals»
GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION :
Province of Kwanza Sul
SCALE OF INTERVENTION :
Project at local scale: 5, 000 ha
CONTEXT AND ISSUES OF THE TERRITORY :
Angola has 60 million hectares of agricultural land, of which only 290,000 ha are permanently cultivated (FAO STAT, 2015). According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Angola is one of the five countries with the highest agricultural potential, but only 10% of the land is used, mainly due to the country's insufficient irrigation rate. Angolan agriculture is essentially family-based. Its development could significantly reduce the country's external dependence on food for its population, thus reducing its foreign exchange needs.
In many areas of the country, the development of agriculture requires irrigation and the control of water resources.
This project is in line with France desire to strengthen its partnership with Angola.
A pilot project that can be replicated in other agricultural areas and a tool for boosting agricultural trade
The project area is an old irrigated perimeter using colonial canals left by Portuguese. Since the infrastructures were abandoned, the area has become a savannah, with some parts cultivated only during the rainy season.
GOAL(S) OF THE PROJECT :
The project aims to implement a project to rehabilitate and revive agricultural activities in a pilot area of the Kwanza Sul region. 15,000 families live in the area, which covers about 5,000 ha of agricultural land, of which about 1,000 ha were irrigated.
It will enable a village farming community, settled on an old irrigated perimeter, unmaintained and degraded since the period of instability of the civil war, to restart agricultural activities and improve its standard of living. The territorial approach of the pilot project must integrate both rain-fed agriculture and the revival of irrigated agriculture by working on production, processing and marketing systems, while integrating the project into a social and environmental approach that directly responds to the needs of the population, in a logic of respect for the environment, the search for a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions, and the search for a balance between food and cash crops...
Consultation meeting with the stakeholders of the Cooperativa do 28 Setembro on the expectations and opportunities to be developed through the project
Example of commercialization of local products in the Zambia market
Some examples of the current state of irrigation infrastructures and rehabilitation
Impact of drought in the absence of irrigation on crops in the area
SDG TARGETED BY THE PROJECT:
PROJECT ISSUES :
Development, Territory, Rural people, Food security, Climate change
SECTORS CONCERNED :
Agriculture, Agribusiness, Irrigation, Environment, Water, Energy
EXPECTED RESULTS :
This pilot project is intended to be a showcase for French expertise in engineering, water management, taking into account the environment and climate change, and supporting agricultural production sectors, with the aim of sustainably reviving irrigated activity and strengthening the beneficiary's capacity to carry out such projects.
It should eventually lead to :
- Rehabilitation works are carried out
- Regulation and irrigation equipment is provided
- Production processing equipment is installed
- Different agricultural sectors are promoted
- Unsupplied energy sources are promoted for pumping and processing of products
- Losses between production and consumption are reduced
- Agricultural waste treatment facilities are provided
STAKEHOLDERS OF THE PROJECT :
Actors involved :
Ministry of Agriculture in Angola,
Producers' Cooperative of 28 September
Ministère de l'économie, des finances et de la relance
Agence Française de Développement
ESTIMATED COST OF THE PROJECT:
SHORT-TERM ACTIONS (3 YEARS):
- Feasibility study,
- Demonstrator Installation and monitoring,
- Implementation of the first chain of products commercialization,
- Farmers training,
- Implementation of an adapted institutional framework.
LONG TERM ACTIONS (10 YEARS) :
- Extension of the project to the entire project area
- Replication of the project in other areas