11th INBO World General Assembly
Marrakesh International Summit on Water Security:
Tapping the benefits of innovative & participative basin management
Water security is a major issue that impacts socio-economic development at a global scale.
If an acute attention is of course paid to this concept in arid areas, other regions are now facing water scarcity issues because of the considerable increase in demand for water resources and the increase in the intensity and frequency of extreme hydrometeorological events resulting from climate change.
In this context of quantitative and qualitative tensions, made worse by a wide range of pressures (demographic, urban, climatic and of course those exerted by the water uses themselves), how can we ensure, at basin level, sustainable access to water resources in sufficient quantity and quality for human health and the ecosystems health on which our societies depend?
The "Marrakech International Summit on Water Security for a participative and innovative basin management" intends to contribute to the implementation of concrete solutions on these vital issues.
By highlighting the role of the basins as unit of participative and efficient management of water resources, the Summit will be the occasion to hold the World General Assembly of the International Network of Basin Organizations (INBO). It will also engage the scientific community on the innovation needed and enable the holding of the Annual Conference of the Global Institute for Water, Environment and Health (GIWEH).
In addition, the Summit is an important milestone in the process of preparatory events for the 9th World Water Forum (March 2021, Dakar, Senegal), which will focus on "Water Security for Peace and Sustainable Development".
Presentation of the Summit
The Ministry of Equipment, Transport, Logistics and Water of the Kingdom of Morocco, in partnership with the International Network of Basin Organizations (INBO) and the Global Institute for Water, Environment and Health (GIWEH), organize the "International Summit on Water Security: for a participative and innovative basin management" in Marrakech, from the 30th of September to the 3rd of October 2019.
This summit aims to:
• maintain political momentum and enhance the commitment of decision-makers to water security,
• reaffirm the need for dialogue between all levels of stakeholders, in order to implement the identified solutions to the challenges of water security,
• strengthen Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) in order to ensure rural development,
• ensure the practical implementation of technical and scientific advances in water management policies and strategies,
• pay particular attention to the regions, most vulnerable to water insecurity, particularly Africa.